Curtiss-Wright Boosts Flexibility, Usability and Reliability of AVDU Rugged LCD Touchscreen Displays with Software Upgrade
October 17, 2018 | BY: John WranovicsDownload PDF
Helitech International 2018, Amsterdam (Booth #L50) – October 17, 2018 – Curtiss-Wright’s Defense Solutions division, announced that it has enhanced its range of Advanced Video Display Units (AVDU) high-resolution rugged LCD touchscreen displays with new software configurable capabilities that improve their flexibility, usability, and reliability. As video cameras and sensors proliferate on-board civil and military airborne platforms, video displays increasingly play a critical role in determining mission success. The AVDU software upgrade includes a wider range of data communication interfaces, faster boot-up, and adds support for user specified settings, all designed to ease the integration, usability and performance of these rugged displays deployed in harsh environments. AVDU displays are designed to optimize the effectiveness of airborne and land missions onboard rotary aircraft, fixed wing aircraft, and ground vehicles in military and civil applications.
“These new software enhancements to our rugged AVDU touchscreen displays underline our commitment to leading the industry in bringing advanced flexibility and superior user interface features to our customers,” said Lynn Bamford, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Defense Solutions division.
AVDU Software Enhancement Features:
- Touchscreen over USB: An AVDU USB output can serve as a USB Host for in-field upgrading, calibration initiation, test mode, and external storage. It can also serve as a USB Slave for connection to an external PC as a HID touchscreen device. As a HID touchscreen, the AVDU supports basic clicking, double clicking, drag and drop functionality for an external Windows® 7, Windows 10, or Ubuntu® Linux host. The customer can select which input or inputs will support the USB touchscreen protocol.
- Messaging and control support over the RS422 port: One or more of the AVDU’s inputs can be used for messaging and control over the RS422 port. EECP protocol-based messages can enable / disable the On Screen Display, enable Soft Keys, and be used to display/remove custom text message anywhere on the screen.
- DVI support: Screen input can now also be received via DVI in addition to the existing HD-SDI, Composite/S-Video and RGBHV/RGsB video inputs.
- Writable area for customer specific settings: A writable partition is available for customer configurable settings. Test mode functionality has been extended to enable the user to view the current settings and create custom configurations.
- Boot up time optimization: Start up time has been optimized, enabling faster display output.
About AVDU Displays
Curtiss-Wright’s AVDU range of rugged mission displays offers a unique combination of advanced technologies such as optically-bonded glass and dual mode NVIS-compatible LED backlighting. They provide a rich feature set including a highly flexible video input capability and full touchscreen operation. The mission displays are currently available in five display sizes and resolutions to address a wide variety of applications on ground, airborne and naval platforms.
Complete Video System Solutions
AVDU displays can operate stand alone or act as part of an integrated video management system (VMS) that includes Curtiss-Wright’s range of Rugged Video Gateway (RVG) video switches and converter products, and the VRDV7000 video recorder. The displays are also optimized for use with Curtiss-Wright’s Video Management System (VMS) products such as the VDSU-1420.
For additional information on VMS products, including mission display, video recorder, and video distribution products, please visit www.curtisswrightds.com/vms.
For more information about Curtiss-Wright’s Defense Solutions division, please visit www.curtisswrightds.com.
About Curtiss-Wright Corporation
Curtiss-Wright Corporation is a global innovative company that delivers highly engineered, critical function products and services to the commercial, industrial, defense and energy markets. Building on the heritage of Glenn Curtiss and the Wright brothers, Curtiss-Wright has a long tradition of providing reliable solutions through trusted customer relationships. The company employs approximately 8,600 people worldwide. For more information, visit www.curtisswright.com.
Note: Trademarks are property of their respective owners.